About the NLPL Digital Library
What is the Digital Library?
The Digital Library is a collection of digital books, newspapers, magazines, and other information
sources that can be viewed on a computer or electronic device. The collection includes:
- Overdrive: eBooks and eAudiobooks (app available)
- Tumblebooks: Interactive eBooks for children
- PressReader: eNewspapers and eMagazines (app available)
- Flipster: eMagazines (app available)
- Links to other useful online resources
Is it free?
Yes! We pay for these resources so that you don’t have to. Anyone with an NLPL library card can
sign in and use all the resources for free. If you are a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador, you
qualify for a free library card.
Get one online
Is there an app?
There are apps for some, but not all, of the individual products in our Digital Library. On your
smartphone or tablet, go to where you usually find apps (the App store, Google play, etc.) and
search for the app by name:
- Press Reader
- Libby (this is the name of new Overdrive app)
These are all free apps, but will require you to log in using your library card number and PIN.
What's my PIN?
Your PIN number is normally the last 4 digits of the phone number you provided when you registered
for your library card. If you've forgotten your PIN, please click "Forgot Your PIN Number?". Your
library card account will need to have a valid email address on file to lookup your PIN. If you are
unable to look up your PIN number, please contact us.
Are there waitlists?
For eBooks and eAudiobooks on Overdrive, only one patron can use an item at a time. If all copies
are in use, you will be added to a waitlist and will receive an email when the item is ready. For
all other resources (including magazines and newspapers), everyone can use them at the same time.
Suggestions for kids:
- Tumblebooks has great interactive picture books for younger kids plus read-alongs and novels for older kids.
- Overdrive has a special Kids Page that features novels, chapter books and some picture books.
- Flipster has the magazine Chickadee for children.
- PressReader has magazines for children including Highlights, High Five, and Kayak.
What specific magazines and newspapers are available?
Flipster provides digital access to the following magazines:
- The New Yorker
- O, The Oprah Magazine
- Car & Driver
- Better Homes & Gardens
- Martha Stewart Living
- Today's Parent
- Rolling Stone
- The Atlantic
- Interweave Knits
- GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly
- Vanity Fair
- Bon Appetit
- Good Organic Gardening
- Teen Vogue
Magazines on PressReader - Just a sample of 3,000+ titles
- Canadian Living
- The Walrus
- Style at Home
- Canadian Geographic
- BBC History
- Men’s Fitness
- Yoga Journal
- Hockey News
- BBC Good Food
- Guitar Techniques
- Inuit Art
- Canadian Art
- High Five Highlights
- Xbox official magazine
- Playstation official magazine
- Cabin Living
- Snowbirds & RV Travelers
- Lonely Planet
- Reader’s Digest (Canada)
- Canadian Cycling Magazine
- Triathlon Magazine Canada
- Simply Knitting
- Simply Crochet
- Quilter’s World
Newspapers on PressReader - just a sample of 3,000+ titles in multiple languages
PressReader contains many titles to list (6,000+ in multiple languages), but here are some
suggestions to get you started:
- Globe & Mail
- National Post
- The St. John’s Telegram
- Local NL newspapers from many locations (Western Star, Labradorian, The Beacon, Advertiser, etc.)
- La Presse
- The Guardian (UK)
- The Irish Times
- Newspapers in Arabic, French, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Punjabi and many other languages.
For questions or support:
If you have questions, suggestions, or need support accessing this collection,
please contact us.